John Crouse-RIP-Obituary-Memorial Service

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Dan Wardlow

John Crouse-RIP-Obituary-Memorial Service

Post by Dan Wardlow »

I'm sorry to post that our good friend and neighbor John Crouse passed away suddenly today. John worked for Beaver Island Realty, and was an active volunteer for the Historical Society as well as a member of the Society's board of directors. He was an avid historian, a creative writer and photographer, a hiker, a wonderful story-teller, and a true friend to many here on the island.

We are all in shock, and send our sympathies to his wife Maureen.

Arrangements are incomplete at this time.
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

I was devastated to hear of John's passing- what a wonderful person he was - one of the smartest, most honest people i have ever met. He always had a smile for me when i saw him- i will miss him. :cry:
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

A citizen stopped by my house today as I as finishing my lunch asking if I knew a guy named John who was out by the west side with an appraiser to which I said yes, the man said that John had collapsed and was not doing well as they had called EMS, I raced out that way only to realize that the road (after checking other locations) that we would have to go down might impede the ambulance and had to back up and turn around..................later we learned that a dear person and a good friend named John (Crouse) had passed away. Anyone that knew this man would know what a kind, compassionate, thinking man he was! He wrote speeches for former Governor Milliken during his tenure and much, much more. He was a very young 63 and worked in my office but he didn't necessarily do what he was asked, he did what he thought was a front burner thing and for John that was cataloging Beaver Island's history, something he did without compromise!! I would say to him often that he should find something better to do and he would always say, "There is no better thing to do". Mind you, this man's family is descended of 12 generations of Gettysburg but he was always enamored of the history of the "Beavers". When I went back to the office today to find a phone number for his wife Maureen, a person of great character and tremendous love of John his entire desktop was covered in notes and paper relating to the history of island families he was working on. John had a passion for capturing this history like none I had ever seen, it was amazing. His love for Beaver Island (I think his first visit was in 1966) was unreal. Laura and I had to be off the island and he was not just voluntary in his way to take this man out to the property to be appraised, he was delighted because he loved to show Beaver Island off to anyone that cared. To those of you that knew him you know what I am saying, to those of you that didn't, you should know forever that this man was a very good and steady guy that loved his island community, a life lesson is here for all of us, farewell John, you were truly a one of a kind individual.................
Mark

Post by Mark »

Could someone please send me an address for Maureen?

Thanks

Mark H
Kim Connaghan Jones

Post by Kim Connaghan Jones »

I agree Richie,John was one of a kind.I didn't know him very long,but in the short time I did know him,he made an impact on me very few people do.Rest in peace John.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Maureen Abele
612 Kent Hills Road NE
Grand Rapids MI 49505
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

From Jeff:

I'm very very sorry to hear the horrible loss -- I've never been good with words for a situation like this but it was a huge loss for the whole Island too. He was such a spark of amazing talent and interest and willingness to take on so many projects. And he was always so positive and charismatic that it hardly seems real. We've been talking about the sad news all afternoon.
David Roop

John crouse

Post by David Roop »

What a loss, l had reason to talk to him a couple years ago, and he expressed him self in a very professional way, even tho he didn't know me, he took the time to answer a couple of questions.

Myself having a heart attack in May and it sure makes you think about the future, there is no guarntee for tomorrow and we should make the best of our life. Call a friend or maybe someone that you are not getting along with and say hello,

You will find it refreshing
anniep

Post by anniep »

Geez,
I saw John going out and getting into his vehicle about 10:30am that morning. At first I couldn't figure out who this guy was in the middle of the street, kind of "meandering." Then I saw "the hat." Then he got into the jeep/whatever. Then I waved at him. Then two hours later...he was "gone." Shite. What would've/could've I said at that previous/precious "drive by"?!

Perhaps, "God speed. Go to the light." Perhaps, "Thank you. Thank you for all you have done. Peace to you, John." Perhaps, "You were perfect, just the way you were. Bless you for blessing us."

I "peripherally" knew John from Grand Rapids...in the 1980's we shared mutual "relationships" with mutually common "personalities". His, and my,"observations" of that time period and personalities had only recently been conversationally explored. I had looked forward to revisiting more. I truly regret that this will opportunity will be forever lost.

As Richie said, this is another life lesson, here for all of us...
Ann
E T

Post by E T »

The news of John's death truly shocked and disheartened me.John, will be missed by all residents and visitors of Beaver Island. Truly a caring and decent individual who went out of his way to meet and converse with all who came into contact with him.
Ed Troutman
38280 Beaver Drive
Beaver Island, Michigan 49782
Marie LaFreniere

Obituary

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

You can view John's obituary by going to www.gerstfuneralhomes.com and click on Obituaries. There is a spot where you can post your condolences.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

The funeral arrangements for John Crouse are:
Visitation - Sunday Dec. 14 from 3 to 6
Memorial Service: Monday at 11:00
All to be held at O'brien, Eggebeen and Gerst Chapel
3980 Cascade
Grand Rapids
(corner Cascade and E. Paris)
caram

Post by caram »

Wednesday I lost one of my dearest friends of 25 years. John was so many things, always positive, smiling, agreeable, intelligent. He was a wonderful storyteller and indeed saw humor and a story in every little part of his life. He loved the island; the beauty, the people, the culture, and especially the history. He was warm and kind to all. He could make me laugh even as I was crying. He was many things, but what he was most was irreplaceable. The island, Maureen, and all of his friends have lost one or the rarest kinds of people I know.
We hear all to often that each day is a gift. This week we are reminded. John, we will miss you so.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Moved Marie LaFreniere's post of the obituary to keep things together:

I spoke with John's wife Maureen last night. More information has been added to the obituary and can be found at www.gerstfuneralhomes.com .

Because of John's love of the Island, his ashes will be brought here in the spring and there will be a celebration of his life at that time.

Maureen "Mo" has been reading the messages everyone has been leaving on this site, so to everyone else who knew John please feel free to post your condolences, memories, etc.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

From Maureen:

Rich,

John touched so many lives. At the visitation on Sunday, there were at least
300 people...someone told me the funeral director said they had never had
such a large crowd. A line of people who wanted to talk to me formed as soon
as visitation began, and it never abated for well over 3 hours. My darling
husband was loved by so many people, and it was soothing to be with them.

At our celebration of his life on Monday, about 200 attended. There were so
many wonderful stories...good memories...a lot of laughter. I wanted to say
something, but I knew I would be unable to talk about him or our life
together. Instead, I read a letter that John wrote to his aunt in 1991,
which I found while I was browsing through his files a few, sleepless nights
ago. I like to think he led me there, to that file marked "personal," which
held just a few things he thought were worth saving. If you think about it,
I guess that my reading that letter means John was able to speak at his own
funeral.

Anyway, while there were some tears, we really were able to celebrate John's
life and talk about what he meant to us. Friends and family told stories for
more than 2 hours. John was not only a great storyteller, he was the subject
of a good many adventures that other people love to tell. And most of those
stories were funny, so we did a lot of laughing, which is one of the keys to
healing. We all went away feeling better than when we walked in.

Today is the cremation. I am going to be there with him all the way to the
end, and if I could hold his hand through it all, I would.

Big hugs to all,
Maureen